A message from our music staff:

Mr. Berger and Ms. Dudlak are glad you're here! Check back often for updates and info about our Westgate music program. Mr. Berger can be reached via email at gberger@sd25.org, and Ms. Dudlak can be reached at jdudlak@sd25.org. Follow Mr. Berger on Twitter! @WEMusic160

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

9/11 memories, Patriot Day, and Constitution Day 2013

This past Wednesday was the twelve year anniversary of the attack on our country that took place on 9/11/2001. Many people wrote posts on social media with their memories of that fateful day. I recall that I was driving in to school that Tuesday morning and I heard on the radio that a plane had hit a building in New York. I had been listening to a tape for most of the drive, so I had no idea what was going on. When I entered the school and went to the teacher's lounge, now Mrs. Harris' classroom, I was met by a large group of staff members who were watching the coverage on the tv.  Some were crying, most were in shock. How were we supposed to teach and have a normal day with all of this going on in our country? Well, we did the best we could under the grave circumstances. I remember assuring the kids that they were safe, and spending the day, and the following week singing patriotic songs in class.

We continue this tradition each year for Patriot Day, singing patriotic songs such as "This Land is Your Land", "America", "America, the Beautiful", "Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue", "You're a Grand Old Flag", and the "Star-Spangled Banner". I really enjoy sharing these great songs with our students!

Tuesday, September 17th marked the 226th anniversary of our United States Constitution! To commemorate this event, we discussed some of the rights and freedoms we enjoy in America, such as freedom of speech, the right to vote, and freedom of religion. I also shared the "Preamble Song" from Schoolhouse Rock! I still remember watching this and other Schoolhouse Rock cartoons on Saturday mornings when I was a child... :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment